Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Great Expectations

Hello, blog reading friends :)

I have been busier than a one-legged man in a butt-kicking contest, but for some reason tonight I was just compelled to write in this thing.  This has been a nightmare of a week at school, really a nightmare of a month.  Remember when I said the work wasn't that hard a few months ago? That's because apparently professors find it necessary to pile everything on at one time--the end of the semester.  I think I have finally found the light at the end of the tunnel this week.  It has definitely been an emotional trainwreck for me.  It's hard to see the light at the end of it all, though. I am already dreading next semester. Sometimes I wonder why I put myself through all this, but I have to remind myself that in 9 months, I can be done with all this unnecessary stress and worry forever.

So, I've been reading the book "One Day"  It's a movie that came out within the last few months but I'm really OCD about not seeing movies until I've read the book. Anyway, from what I've read, which isn't a whole lot since free time isn't exactly penciled into my planner these days, it's very good.  The first page was actually a Charles Dickens quote from the book "Great Expectations" and ever since I read that page, I can't help but to think about it almost daily. 


"That was a memorable day to me, for it made great changes in me. But, it is the same with any life. Imagine one selected day struck out of it, and think how different its course would have been. Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day." 

I just think those are very inspiring words.  I've been finding myself thinking about my close friends and for every single one, I can remember the exact day we met and, for the most part, what was said.  It's amazing to me to think how much different life might have been had those moments never occurred.  I would be a completely different person.  

I'm just curious as to how many people actually remember paramount moments like that? I think everyone needs to remember that quote when they meet someone new.  You never know what impact that person will have on your life and you'll always want to remember how you met. It really is interesting, if you think about it. 

Who remembers the day we met?? :)  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment